Even though I used to do it, I laugh when I see college students posting Facebook statuses and tweeting about partying, drinking, doing drugs, and cussing and just overall acting very inappropriate on social media sites where their future employers are looking.
Well, maybe I should be happy. I guess they are making it easier for me to get a job?
In 2009, a study was done that showed 80% of companies use social media as a screening process for prospective employees. Social media has a huge presence in everything. You can potentially make or break your career with social media.
It’s used as a screening process, it’s used for marketing, it’s used for many different things. You can have fun and enjoy social media, as that is one aspect of it, but people need to get with the times nowadays and use social media to better their position for a career.
Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, blogging — all of these should be used in the business world these days. It’s becoming a necessity.
Here are 29 cool social media facts I found on Ragan’s PR Daily
1. More than 50 percent of the world’s population is under 30 years old. (source)
2. In 10 years more than 40 percent of the Fortune 500 will no longer be here. (source)
3. Social media has overtaken porn as the No. 1 activity on the Web. (source)
4. Facebook tops Google for weekly traffic in the U.S. (source)
5. One in 5 couples meet online; 3 in 5 gay couples meet online. (source)
6. One in 5 divorces are blamed on Facebook. (source)
7. A 2009 U.S. Department of Education study revealed that on average, online students out performed those receiving face-to-face instruction. (source)
8. If Facebook was a country, it would be the world’s third largest and twice the size of the U.S. population. (source)
9. 80 percent of companies use social media for recruitment; 95 percent of those companies use LinkedIn. (source)
10. Roughly two new member joins LinkedIn every second. (source)
12. More than 48 million have watched the Volkswagen Darth Vader Kid advertisement on YouTube. (source)
13. Ford Explorer launch on Facebook was more effective than a Super Bowl ad. (source)
14. 50 percent of the mobile Internet traffic in the U.K. is for Facebook. (source)
15. 69 percent of parents are “friends” with their children on social media. (source)
16. E-readers have surpassed traditional book sales. (source)
17. Groupon will reach $1 billion in sales faster than any company in history. (source)
19. Social gamers are projected to buy $6 billion in virtual goods by 2013; movie goers only buy $2.5 million in concessions. (source)
20. The second-largest search engine in the world is YouTube. (source)
21. While you watch the Social Media Evolution 3 video, 100-plus hours of video will be uploaded to YouTube. (source)
22. If Wikipedia was made into a book, it would be 2.25 million pages long. (source)
23. 25 percent of search results for the world’s top 20 largest brands are links to user-generated content. (source)
24. 34 percent of bloggers post opinions about products and brands. (source)
25. 90 percent of consumers trust peer recommendations. (source)
26. Only 14 percent of consumers trust advertisements. (source)
27. Only 18 percent of traditional TV campaigns generate a positive return on investments. (source)
28. 93 percent of marketers use social media for business. (source)
29. An Egyptian couple named his daughter Facebook thanks to the social network’s role in the spring revolution. (source)
Get with the times folks.
Taylor Oaks, firstname.lastname@example.org